May 2023 – By popular demand, Lanai Cat Sanctuary brought back #YogaWithTheCats. Back in 2020, yoga instructor Anne Van Valkenburg held our first-ever livestream yoga event. On May 20, Valkenburg came back to teach yoga in-person and live streamed alongside 660+ cats.
Yoga with cats, often referred to as “cat yoga” or “yoga with cats,” has gained popularity in recent years. Here are a few reasons why some people enjoy practicing yoga alongside cats:
1. Relaxation and stress relief: Cats are known for their calming presence and ability to help reduce stress and anxiety. Having cats around during yoga practice can create a soothing and peaceful environment, enhancing the overall relaxation and stress-relief benefits of yoga.
2. Connection with nature: Cats are often associated with a sense of connection to nature and a reminder of the present moment. Practicing yoga with cats can help you feel more grounded, mindful, and connected to the natural world.
3. Increased joy and playfulness: Cats can bring a sense of joy, playfulness, and lightness to any activity. Having them around during yoga sessions can add an element of fun and spontaneity to the practice, making it more enjoyable and lighthearted.
4. Mind-body connection: Yoga is a practice that aims to cultivate a deeper mind-body connection. Cats are known for their grace, flexibility, and agility, which can serve as an inspiration during yoga practice. Observing their movements and mimicking their stretches can help deepen your own mind-body connection.
5. Social interaction and community: Cat yoga classes often provide an opportunity for like-minded individuals to come together, bond over their love for cats, and enjoy a shared yoga experience. It can create a sense of community and foster connections among participants.
Ultimately, practicing yoga with cats can be a unique and enjoyable experience that combines the benefits of yoga with the therapeutic presence of feline companions.